Auxiliary - About
The Auxiliary was organized in the Assembly Room of the Midway Volunteer Fire Company on March 20, 1940 with twenty- four charter members. During 1940 the Ladies Auxiliary presented the Fire Company with their first donation of five hundred dollars and participated for the first time in the annual carnival. They were responsible for several booths that year, including refreshments.
During World War II, thirty-three members of the Auxiliary made surgical dressings for the Red Cross, participated in the Civil Defense Program, and sponsored a drive to send books to the soldiers. Since 1940 the Auxiliary has made monetary donations to the Fire Company too numerous to count. Many different fund-raisers were held in order to raise the money the Fire Company needed for trucks and equipment. These annual fund-raisers include a Flea Market, Designer Bag Bingo, 31 Bag Bingo, Soup Day, and Carnival.
Over seventy-five years have passed since the Auxiliary was organized; in that time, the Ladies Auxiliary changed its name to just the Auxiliary. This was done to open up the membership to anyone who wished to join and help support the Fire Company. Other than the name change, the mission and goals of the Auxiliary have remained the same over the years.
Besides helping to provide financial support to the Fire Company, the Auxiliary provides additional support to the firefighters during major incidents. During major incidents the Auxiliary dispatches members to the scene to provide food and refreshments for the firefighters and fire police. It’s a most welcome sight in the middle of the night when it’s twenty degrees out and the Auxiliary pulls up with hot coffee and doughnuts, or on a hot summer day they bring ice cold bottles of water and sandwiches. The members of the Fire Company appreciate all that the Auxiliary has done and continues to do for all of the firefighters and the community.
What We Do
There are five main fundraisers a year -
- 31 Bag Bingo – We solicit donations from local stores in our calling area. Click here for details.
- Annual Flea Market – We sell table space and serve refreshments on the day of the Flea Market. Tables are also available for rent.
- Annual Carnival – Volunteers cover all shifts and positions with the exception of the rides.
- Soup Day – One weekend in November each year the Auxiliary makes homemade vegetable soup and sells it by the jar or cup in Peddler’s Village.
- Annual Designer Bag Bingo – We solicit donations from local stores in our calling area to provide bingo winners with Vera Bradley and Coach bags prizes.
We are responsible for the Fire Company Canteen, which brings refreshments to the fire company when they have major incidents.
We serve refreshments at the annual Fire Prevention Open House. The Open House is held during the first week of October each year and provides an opportunity for families to learn more about the fire company and learn about fire safety.
- Must attend 5 out of 11 monthly meetings, no meeting in July and the November/December are combined.
- Must work 3 days morning prep or nights of Carnival
- Must work at two other Auxiliary events (3 additional days or nights of carnival will cover one additional event).
- Attend one meeting per year.
- Must work one activity (3 days or nights of Carnival count as one activity).
Interested in Joining
Contact the Auxiliary via e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org. Or stop by one of our meetings at 7:00 p.m. on the fourth Wednesday of each month. Please note that there is no meeting in July and the November/December meetings are combined. Meetings are held at the main station at 5770 Route 202 in Lahaska, next to Peddler’s Village.