Sunday, February 12, 2012 -
Electrical fires in our homes claim the lives of 280 Americans each year. Many of these fires are caused by incorrectly installed wiring and overloaded circuits as well as extension cords.
Winter fires can be prevented. The following fire safety tips can help you maintain a fire-safe home this winter season.
- Routinely check your electrical appliances and wiring.
- Frayed wires can cause fires. Replace all worn, old or damaged appliance cords immediately.
- Replace any electrical tool if it causes even the smallest electrical shocks, overheats, shorts out, or gives off smoke or sparks.
- Keep electrical appliances away from wet floors and counters; pay special care to electrical appliances in the bathroom and kitchen.
- Buy electrical products evaluated by a national recognized laboratory, like UL.
- Keep clothes, curtains, and other potentially combustable items at least three feet from all heaters.
- If an appliance has a three-prong plug, use it only in a three-slot outlet. Never force it into a two-slot outlet or extension cord.
- Don't allow children to play with or around electrical appliances like space heaters, irons, and hair dryers.
- Child-proof all electrical outlets.
- Never overload extension cords or wall sockets.
For more information on electrical fire safety, visit the link below.